Portsmouth Office: 023 9229 8080
Southampton Office: 023 8055 3355

Legal & Safety Requirements

Gas Safety
All gas appliances in the property require a current gas safety certificate (CP12) that must be issued by a Gas Safe registered contractor. This has to be renewed annually. The penalty for failing to have equipment tested, or failing to keep proper records, are severe. The onus is on the landlord to have the works carried out, but if an agent is managing the property, they can be found equally liable.

When we have been requested to arrange a gas safety inspection initially, we will automatically instruct a contractor the following year without prior notice to the landlord. The landlord authorises the agent to arrange all necessary inspections and reports to comply with the gas safety regulations and to extend all necessary money to comply with the regulations thereof.

Electricity Equipment Although there is no recognised certificate for the electricity, there is a law that states that; “all electrical circuits and appliances should be safe for use to the best of the landlords and agents knowledge”. It is recommended that a qualified electrician carries out a survey of the property and portable appliances. The guidelines state that circuits should be tested every 5 years or at every new tenancy and the appliances are tested annually (PAT). Should you wish us to arrange an electrical inspection to be carried out on the landlord’s behalf we will be pleased to do so.

Energy Performance Certificate  - EPCEnergy Performance Certificate The Energy Performance Certificate, currently found in recently introduced Home Information Packs which are required when selling a house, were introduced into the rental market from 1st October 2008. An EPC is required at the first change of tenants on a rented property after this date and is valid for 10 years from the date of issue.

The Energy Performance Certificate is broadly similar to the certificates found on many domestic appliances.

A certificate for a building gives the building an Asset rating based on its energy efficiently, but doesn’t take into account how the home is used by the occupiers.

The certificate will give the building a rating from A to G. An A rating shows it’s very efficient, meaning higher fuel bills. The Certificate will also show the building’s environmental impact by indicating its carbon- dioxide emissions.

Smoke Detectors All properties built after 1992 are required to have mains operated smoke detectors fitted. Currently, there are no such regulations requiring smoke detectors to be fitted into older Properties, however is recommended by fire safety officers, and by ourselves, that at least battery operated devices are installed.

Whether you are a landlord, or tenant in Portsmouth or Southampton - contact Kings Estates today for friendly, professional advice on the legal and safety requirements. Call our Portsmouth team on 023 9229 8080 or our Southampton team on 023 8055 3355 

Contact us

Kings Estates Southampton Office:
253 Portswood Road, Portswood,
Southampton, Hampshire, SO17 2NG

Email: southampton@kingsestates.net
Tel: 023 8055 3355

Opening hours
9am - 6pm weekdays
10am - 4pm Saturday
023 8055 3355

Get In Touch
Kings Estates Portsmouth Office:
67 Albert Road, Southsea,
Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO5 2SG

Email: southsea@kingsestates.net
Tel: 023 9229 8080

Opening hours
9am - 6pm weekdays
10am - 4pm Saturday
023 9229 8080

Get In Touch